27 replies to this topic

#1 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

I don't know for sure how true this is, but i think it is fitting to nintendo's attept to make a new console, as wee *snickers* know the revolution controller has yet to prove itself useful or fun to play, but now nintendo has come up with a name for the revolution, " Wii " pronounced "We" Wee Wee info Ahhahahahahahaha :lol:

#2 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

I know this name will be the butt of many bad jokes. An interesting idea though.

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

#3 Moose

Moose

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:07 AM

Lol? Out of all the names to come out with they called it wii... I think their trying to make the name very, very easly remebered. Not that i use the word 'wee' in my everyday conversations with people. I just gotta say... thats just sad.
Posted Image

#4 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

Moderator/Corridors of Time Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

Yeah. There were a lot of jokes about that.
"You wanna come back to my house and play with my wii?"

*shudder*

Bah. What was wrong with Revolution? Too matrix-ey? Or too easily connected to the Xbox 360? (360 degrees is one revolution...)

Hm. This whole issue reminds me of the Sky Dome. Sure, they named it the "Rogers Centre" (those overbearing capitalistic money-grubbing etc etc), but I know I'll always call it the Sky Dome.

Blargy.

But I'm still gonna buy it.

sum day ill eat ur cat ricko...

#5 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

lol, yes same with me, i dont think anyone will really notice, who goes there except for the car show, and like umm, what ever else can be done with a huge convertible building :P

#6 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:33 PM

Why don't they call the CN Tower the Phallic Tower? But to STAY ON TOPIC why don't they call it the Wii-Wii Tower? :P

#7 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

Anyone else seen the e3 fantasticness?

I'm surprised. I've been eagerly anticipating the revolution/wii for a long time, but I look around and see die-hard Microsoft fans obsessed with the Super Smash Bros Brawl trailer (yes, Snake is in SSB, and Sonic and Megaman...). I really appreciate the truly multiplayer theme implied by the Wii. I've always thought that the Gamecube (and in fact givdeogaming in general) was fairly lacking in multiplayer abilities. Sure, there are a few highlights (Four Swords, Crystal Chronicles (which both require each player to have a GBA), Halo, SSB, uh... uh... Tron??) but over all, there aren't that many really excellent multiplayer games.

I always look for multiplayerability when I buy a game. Smash bros, Mario Party, Starfox. What I want, however, is an entire game (speaking consoles here) that encourages a bunch of people to hang out, grab some snacks, and play. Sure, there are game communities online, but that's not face-to-face real. Hm.

Anyways, I can't wait.

#8 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

Amazing (Console) multiplayer games I've come across are:

Perfect Dark (N64) - Way better than Golden Eye and if you think different you either a) have not played it or B) are unable to think.
Timesplitters 2 (PS2) - Fun and fast paced gameplay.

#9 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:02 AM

I can't wait for the Wii Extension Kit.
I'm gonna get my Wii extended.
>.>

Timesplitters is multiplayer? I must look into this.

#10 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

Oh yes and lots of fun! ^_^

#11 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

Wii Adaptors:

Some single-player games will require the player to attach two Wiimotes together at the port end. This connection device will be provided with the game, and can bend to several set degrees - "lightsabre" - 0 degrees, steering wheel - 30 degrees, Starship Console (think ergonomic keyboard, bends in the middle) - 90 degrees and a few more angles in between for upcoming games and further development. The connector itself contains additional capabilities, for example it overtakes the responsibility of sending location and tilt/yaw data to the console (reduces redundancy).

As the connection bends like an elbow or a knee, the device has been dubbed as such:
The Wii-Knee or, for the sake of continuity:

The WiiNii.

#12 Baylro

Baylro

Nub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:25 AM

Some single-player games will require the player to attach two Wiimotes together at the port end. This connection device will be provided with the game, and can bend to several set degrees - "lightsabre"

I hate how nintendo always puts stuff in games that you have to buy more hardware to use. They should be able to do this with a single controler if there is a gyro in it. Controllers arent so bad as they will be used in multiplayer games as well but some of us just dont want a portable gaming system.

#13 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

I know what you mean, i dont know how much i am going to want a wee, game developers tend to really make crappy gimic games when it comes to having to move around and flail my arms like a morone, what happens when it is like 11 at night and i just want to sit down and play a game, i dont want to always have to swing around... >_<

#14 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:03 AM

I hope they add mic support so that I have to yell "William Wallace" before I run into a horde of Scotland occupying English fools in the middle of the night when I am usually awake and everyone else is sleeping!

#15 Baylro

Baylro

Nub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:01 AM

lol and you have to moon the webcam to goad an opposing army into a fight ^^

#16 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

Dood, the wii site has been upgraded.
Note:

Controls: Intuitive control for anyone using the physical motion of the main Wii Remote, which resembles a television remote control. Up to four Wii Remotes can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons.

The Look: Wii features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any television setup. It can be displayed either vertically or horizontally.

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for Wii, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube discs.

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This WiiConnect24 service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE 802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS.

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a "best of" selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

The Specs: Wii boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the "sleepless" WiiConnect24 mode.

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named "Broadway"). Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI.

Other Features: Four ports for classic Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video.

Especially note the parts that I bolded, italicized and underlined. Very very sweet.

#17 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:33 PM

Yeah, I'm going to buy a Wii. If not just for the retro-gaming axion.

#18 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Not just Nintendo games, but Sega and Turbo GrafX too!

And I believe I may have answered my question regarding memory storage, the Wii will have "A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory."
External, potentially unlimited. How big is the average game file (NES, SNES etc)? Countable in megabytes, right? Around the size of an mp3, rather than, say, the size of NeverWinter Nights (which sits on my harddrive as an ugly 4G). 512 MB will hold dozens of games, save files... I wonder...

Anyways, I would again like to point out the following:
"It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets."

That is freaking awesome. Everybody knows that we will still be talking about Tetris (example of simple, creative, low-budget game) in fifty years, whereas nobody talks about Spiderman 2 (the game) even today. Creativity needs no budget! Right, Dracky? Fondusis is pretty much an essay on that.

You could still use a bit more drive, though. :P

#19 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:24 AM

512Mb of memory or 512Mb of RAM? They are quite different things.

#20 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

Ah yes, error in processing skills. 512Mb flash memory. USB ports can extend such. This leaves me again with only speculation as to storage devices. Nintendo has a bad history of giving the finger to standard anything, the most recent in my memory being the gameboy advance, which didn't have the standard stereo headphone jack but a crazy Nintendo product-only jack that doubled as the power jack. So USB to me is a very strange step. I would doubt that any devices would connect to the extremely standard USB ports, as they could then be transferred for reverse engineering on just about everything other than a Nintendo product. So?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users