7 replies to this topic

#1 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

Moderator/Corridors of Time Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:51 PM

The problem was that in videogames, the "experience" can be blocky, linear, and ugly, and I have come to be somewhat hostile of said function. Thus: Experience must be completely unlinear!
Observe the following function:

Y = (X/3)+(X^(2n))/2

Y is the total experience gained in one specific instance.

X is the base amount of experience gained, which in most games is set to one value per specific action.

n is a random value between 0 and 1.

Figure 1.1 is this formula assuming X is 10.

Posted Image

This shows both ends of the spectrum being a maximum and a minimum amount of experience gained in one instance.

This method would render the act of letting the user read their experience obsolete, as it is completely unpredictable to tell how much experience is gained in any act.

I feel that this is the answer to the stuffy linearality that gets in the way of so many games.

(Also, the actual formula is not relevant. I just found it suited my example very well. If I were to change anything, it would be
Y=X/3+(X^(2n))/3 rather than
Y=X/3+(X^(2n))/2.)

Also also, there's a RABBIT IN THE COURTYARD!!!!

#2 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

Well. When I get some time to actually comprehend that I'll reread this.

Also also, there's a RABBIT IN THE COURTYARD!!!!

It was our idea FIRST. We have video...

#3 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:51 AM

Well, as long as you're admitting nothing...

In summary of the above, I found experience to be painfully restrictive. Being lead by numbers, it's too easy to become too dependant. Playing the game just to get X more experience just to go up X more levels crushes the fun.

This changes all that by making experience a random variable. Thus, people won't be focusing on the numbers but enjoying a wonderful game.

sum day ill eat ur cat ricko...

#4 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:34 PM

Y = (X/3)+(X^(2n))/2

Y is the total experience gained in one specific instance.

X is the base amount of experience gained, which in most games is set to one value per specific action.

n is a random value between 0 and 1.

Figure 1.1 is this formula assuming X is 10.

Posted Image

This shows both ends of the spectrum being a maximum and a minimum amount of experience gained in one instance.

This method would render the act of letting the user read their experience obsolete, as it is completely unpredictable to tell how much experience is gained in any act.

I feel that this is the answer to the stuffy linearality that gets in the way of so many games.

(Also, the actual formula is not relevant. I just found it suited my example very well. If I were to change anything, it would be
Y=X/3+(X^(2n))/3 rather than
Y=X/3+(X^(2n))/2.)

:blink: .....My cats breath smells like cat food.......

#5 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:40 PM

The players level also has to fit into this eqation somewhere. Also consider when a user is level 50. Their exp requirements could be a huge difference. In your example even at level one there is a difference of 24 between the top and the bottom for a level one!

#6 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:34 PM

This changes all that by making experience a random variable. Thus, people won't be focusing on the numbers but enjoying a wonderful game.

This will make people bi*ch and say things like "waa waaa he has to get less exp than me!!! waa waa dracky daddy fix me! waa waa"

#7 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:04 PM

No, not experience requirements.

I don't mean the amount of experience at which they increase a level.

I mean how much experience is given for each individual action.

10 was, for the purpose of example, the amount of experience gained at one moment, say from killing a specific monster that gives 10 experience.
The amount of experience required to go up a level is set, and not random.
In the long run, it will average out to be the equivalent of getting 10 experience for every action (that gives 10 experience), but in the short run it adds a sense of naturality. Every once in a while somebody makes an insane jump in experience and discovers gravity, neh? Occasionally somebody discovers electricity from trailing a kite with a key. You don't get that by flying exactly 1052000 kites that each give 2.54 experience every time, and you don't need to be a level 12 Electrician. It's more like rolling a Natural 20.
Also, the exact numbers of experience are irrelevant, like each individual cog in a mechanical watch. You don't look at the gears but the face of the watch.

sum day ill eat ur cat ricko...

#8 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

OHHH! Yes then this makes more sense to me now hehe. Cool maybe I'll add this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users