31 replies to this topic

#1 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

Anyone here love HM as much as I do??? I've gotten back into my Friends of Mineral Town game (GBA). I'm in my Second summer, almost married to Popuri (red heart, waiting for her to say yes), got ~40 fields going plus about 30 fields of grass, 8 chickens, 5 cows (1 pregnant), 2 sheep. I still have house upgrades to do. My horse and dog won the contest this year, yay! And I just bought a pot! :D

#2 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

Moderator/Corridors of Time Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hah, yeah, I played and beat More Friends of Mineral Town. Fascinating game. I can't tell you much about it, as I only played it for about 5 minutes.

Yes, that's right. I beat it within 5 minutes.

sum day ill eat ur cat ricko...

#3 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

you are a lier!! you bought the cottage across from popuri and upgraded your house with all the shoping channel stuff in 5 hours?!?? :o

#4 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:44 PM

Man... 5 MINUTES I said.
Really, it is a very simple game.
Nothing to it.

#5 Baylro

Baylro

Nub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

How do you have 8 chickens?! I tried to do more than 4 but they kept getting pissed at me and dying; assumed it was because there are only 4 slots for fodder. Maybe some dont need fodder if theyre outside?

been playing the rom for a while off and on, its a decent game. Only on my second month so not nearly as far into it as you.

#6 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

Ok, ok. You've persuaded me to let you in on the little secret.

You see... if you, the main female character in More Friends, listen to the Mayor rant and rave for about five minutes (including intro etc...) and say "no" when he asks you to accept the ranch, the game ends. Credits roll. Thus it is a legitimate strategy to complete the game.
Hah.

Heheh.

#7 Faselei

Faselei

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

:lol:

I'm not sure thats a strictly legitimate way of 'winning'. But maybe.

Don't post here ever again.

Posted Image

#8 rickoshay818

rickoshay818

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:KITTY!

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:28 AM

Hey guys what is this game anyways???????I WANT TO PLAY IT!lol if such a big deal too post on my topic on chat box at,"Other games you have played" Thanks!
...Tehe.

#9 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:01 PM

...yeah. Anyways....

I just bought HM: A Wonderful Life for Gamecube. Winter, day 4, year 1. Engaged to Nami. My cow's pregnant! The father is a happy Brown Cow. Er, bull.
For the time being I've dropped any form of crops other than trees. I can't stand watering every... single... square so many times.
Hm... Differences between this game and the only other HM game I've really played, which was the one for the SNES...: Months only have 10 days. This is very useful. Each day is 24 minutes long (one minute real time=one hour game time). Fishing is much better. Fishing in the old one was horrible... You could only fish in one spot, and if memory serves there was only one type of fish.
Hm... You can't just drop all of your produce into one convenient box. There is a box for milk and eggs, but to sell anything else you must either A)wait for Van, the bi-monthly travelling merchant or B)open up your own stall on the main (only) town road next to the inn. Hm... Everything is true space, by which I mean you can actually walk/ride horse to anywhere in the town, there is no magical truck which in essence teleports you there.
Blue feather remains. There are three women: the useless flirt, the robotic soulless farm girl, and the smart one (Nami). Seems to me the smart girl in the SNES game invented stuff.
According to the manual, marriage is at the end of Winter, and the only child available is a son. Now, this next part is neat. HM: A Wonderful Life links to the GBA game, HM: Friends of Mineral Town. Now, as there is a More Friends of Mineral Town which is the female version, there is also the corresponding Another Wonderful Life. Sadly, A Wonderful Life does not link to More Friends.... Yes, I tried.

Well, just before my cow became pregnant and therefore unable to give milk, I achieved S quality milk, which is the highest in quality. Neat.

#10 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:11 PM

I just got a wounderful life for ps2. I was going for nami, but I may marry the farm hand (she basically falls into your lap) you give her a few flowers and it is cut scene after cut scene of effection, although I dont like her family, but nami is a little too jadded for my taste, but I dont like the idea that she will leave if I do not marry her. I just cant live with that guilt!! :P I have no idea how to make compost for the grass in my field to grow ;) unless I really need to save up 15 g's to buy a compost maker or become friends with the cranky scientist guy... all I know is that my horse and cow better learn how to grow their own food or I will be selling steaks come spring...lol

#11 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:23 PM

Don't worry, she (apparently) comes back after a while.
Yeah, she's still jaded, but fortunately she stopped saying "Well... I didn't ask for it... but ok, if I have to take it... I guess..." (some paraphrasing included based on my own perceptions).
Isn't Muffy the one who throws herself at you? Pathetic variety... A useless flirt and a drone. Nami was just the natural choice for me.

Compost? Compost maker? Arrugh? Apparently the PS2 version is insanely more complex than the Gamecube one... But... Compost? Are you sure that's not just something from the gameboy game? The scientist gave me a seed maker. Insert produce, extract crazy hybrid fruits. Up to three generations of stuff!
The hippy gave me a "strange sickle". It's heavy, but... seems to add next to no fatigue.
Tell me if you know... How do you subjugate the gnomes and force them into slave labour? Just curious...

P.S. I saw a yetii.

#12 Faselei

Faselei

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

This game sounds totally mad and crazy :o

Would make a good online MMO though... everyone could have their own farm and flog syuff to the NCPs

Don't post here ever again.

Posted Image

#13 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

Yeah they are making it into one. The only really big problem is the day/night thing. But we'll see how they go about it. ;)

#14 ShadowUser

ShadowUser

VIP

• VIP
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Yeah they are making it into one. The only really big problem is the day/night thing. But we'll see how they go about it. ;)

http://www.harvestmoononline.com/

Nope. lol.

#15 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

http://www.harvestmoononline.com/

Nope. lol.

Ummm. Yep. If you actually read that site you would understand that they were making their own version of Harvest Moon Online which, although being worked on for oh I don't know say two years, got nowhere. After Natsume and some other company decided to make an official version they began getting hits and were thought of as the official HMO. They used the official version as an excuse to give up on the project without letting people down. Yada yada. I know my HM info. I've been on the scene for quite some time. :P

Anyways, my point was that it would be hard to do the day night thing and that I am curious as to how the official (AKA NOT that site) will do it. ^_^

#16 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hazard a guess?

Hm... The simplest way would be to have a global clock that everybody goes by. Problems are sleeping patterns. If one person is sleeping but the game cannot just cut to the next day, then what does that player do? Stare at a black screen?
Some solutions following this train of thought:
The player can still do such things as manage the banking and shipping and other such affairs that are not usually left to him/her, or perhaps continue through the night controlling the gnomes, or perhaps a crazy minigame-like dream sequence would occur? Just something to keep the player occupied. Hm... My opinion is that, if the above was the case, that whatever the player is doing, it should be a break from Harvest Moon. Something with an entirely different pace.

Thinking... Thinking... This would not work! I see another problem with HMOnline: Nobody can play non-stop, there are such things as eating/sleeping/etc. So. The issue now is, who takes care of your farm when you are offline?? If you miss it for too long, do animals die, crops rot?
So either the player's farm is unique to only that player then the night/day thing is not an issue, as the farm would only be 'active' while the player is there. But this does not involve any community and does not have anything to do with being an online game.
Hm... Introduce the town. The town is the only place where time is global, and getting there would be by driving that crazy truck which transports you straight to town. There, you can open stalls and slap around the NPCs and talk to people. But that's silly! People must be able to access other people's farms, otherwise it isn't a multiplayer game.

Bah... My last idea (for now) would be that everybody played as gnomes on one farm, splitting the work. This solves the time problem, as it doesn't matter if you are online all the time, and you can relax when off because other people cover for you. This encourages many people to be online at once, but would be very hard to maintain, and would force the use of small servers with maximum amounts of people. Delegating work would be nearly impossible, as nobody can really guarantee their presence online at any given time.

I am confused. I'd like to see how they do it.

#17 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

you could make it so that there is a global clock, night/day, but you dont need to sleep, crops and such continue to grow if you are online or not. I think crops and animals dying would be a great idea, if you can not make time for the game then you will not get far, plus I am sure they will charge a monthly fee, so if you do not get on long enough to take care of crops, you are wasting your money...the idea I have to make community, could be festivals mini games, obviously marriage maby farm and networth combinations, farmers unions, mining unions, fishing, crafting, farm equipment, tractors, cars, you have to remember gaming systems today are hella powerful, I think we need to think bigger then what the past harvestmoons have been, not alot has changed since the snes version....this is a very complex game to make multiplayer though...and I never found the past HM's to be all that polished...so I wounder if this will work out, or if it will be cancled, or turn out to be like starwars galaxys...*sighs*... :ermm:

#18 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

@Casey
You now see what I was getting on about how it would be hard to do. I must say that the gnome idea is quite interesting but I don't think it would keep people interested for very long! :P

@Nal
Yeah that is a good point. And did you really play Galaxies for that long/long enough to get into it?

#19 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

I played it for long enough, plus they canned it because it was not working out, its something different now, and even that as far as I have heared and read about is not very fun, or worth the bill. I think at first the star wars factor made it fun and exciting, but the spell could only hold effect for so long. to hide that much bulgy hairy puss fat that was, The Bride of Galaxies *shivers* would take even more flair and shinyness that is what starwars does so well. It is one thing to pay 40+ every so many months for a new and shiny SW game but to pay half that or so a month to play that game could only last so long...

#20 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:49 PM

I think that is just your personal oppinion, there are many people that would argue that SWG is a great and worthy game especially with the "new" expansion. But I can't say as I've never played it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users