• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Queztatlapoca

Queztatlapoca

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:BONGOS! Philosophy, Some martial arts, dnd, people watching...(it's oddly fun)<br><br>Well...my name is Matt, I'm 5'3.5&quot; brown hair and eyes. When people ask what's up I'll normally tell them the sky. I am consistently random. I was also in high school for far too long. My age is...well if you can't figure that out from my date of birth shame on you... want to know more? just ask :)

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:46 AM

First of all, up until recently I have been adamant about morality being purely subjective. Something more determined by circumstance than by some greater purpose/ideal/god. And I still do not believe that a greater being has imposed a set of rules onto us that we are bound to follow.

However, I have had to look at the subjectivity of morality and truly wonder, is that all it is? In my view there is something that is universal to all sentient beings. That is logic. Logic which IS able to determine a set of moral rules that anyone should follow in any given circumstance. I am not saying I know these rules to live by, though some are blindly obvious, what I am saying is that I think I understand how morality may seem subjective. I'm not exactly giving a strong point to start a lively debate here (that was never my strong point) but nevertheless I would like to hear (well, see considering this is more visual than oral) your opinions/beliefs/positions on the matter.
Ummm...Yay?

#2 Faselei

Faselei

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

Yes I see what you are trying to say here.

I would admit to narcissistic tendancies, if the human race went away, the world would carry on as normal, if world blew up, the solar system would hardly notice, if the solar system disappeared the universe would bat an eye lid... but thats a silly way of looking at it. Because if we are here for the Dawkins, Darwin sense then we are sentient beings who wish to make our lives better and propagate our genes. Therefore morals, on our own pitiful terran, big monkey brained level ARE logic. As shared rules and responsibilities help us to live together and multiply.

Given that this has been the main thread of philosophical debate of the last 6000 of organised human civilization, and there have millions of these discussions generating billions of words, i wouldn't expect we will find the answer in this thread. :P

Don't post here ever again.

Posted Image

#3 Mizukage

Mizukage

Fondusian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Ninja, anime and pie, in that order.<br><br>ask casey for more.

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:57 AM

In that, you are wrong, for I am now a part of this discussion.

to understand morals, you must understand humans, more importantly, the way humans percieve. it is now cliche for a person to look at another race, or culture, and say "now, thats just wrong, they should be like me!"

what the observer, in this instance, does not realize, is that the observed have existed for several years/centuries, without outside influence.

In 1995 clinton held an invasion, for humanitarian reasons of course, of the african nation of somalia. a hotbed of rebels, vagrance and violence. vice at its finest.

the americans were forced to tactically withdraw after a large sortie with an aboriginie warband resulted in 19 fatalities.

the americans, in thier infinite wisdom and military prowess entered into an area that they had faulty info about the people. the somalians were warriors, born and bred, logic did not apply to the horde of african fighters, running and gunning in the effort to be the one to hold the ranger's head above his shoulders, still dripping his lifeblood.

At the heart of this all is logic. it was logical to stop this sort of behavior from our point of view, but in the eyes of the somalians, bloodshed was a form of freedom.

a militaristic society, shunned by the "civilized" world. there are countless examples like this. it simply goes to show you that logic, and its subsiquent morality are seen through different lenses, in different lands.
Posted Image

#4 Jacaloogawooga

Jacaloogawooga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

I don't know what i'm ranting about, but i'm going to rant. I am a noob. I don't know how fondusis works and i'm not whitty, someone help me. I need whit and cleverness. I do like your smileys though. :blink:

#5 Kinewa

Kinewa

Fondusian To The Max

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Interests:God, guitar, computers, reading, drawing, DDR, webcomic.

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

The first rule is not to spam. That being, read the posts already put up in a thread and make sure that what you are saying has something to do with it. This is the moral way of handling internet social structure.

Sex adds inches to your waist... In increasing amounts for about... nine months.

#6 Keisad

Keisad

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

haha

Jac joining = Destruction of reason.

She will learn. Oh yes, she will learn.

#7 Megell

Megell

Fondusian To The Max

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING.

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

The first rule is not to spam. That being, read the posts already put up in a thread and make sure that what you are saying has something to do with it. This is the moral way of handling internet social structure.

HEY I DISAGREE!

I pretty much am the epic end of all spam... and DO I get yelled at?!

No

unless you guys have given up on me...

Have you?

Have you?

T_T

You have, haven't you.

DAMN!

#8 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:38 AM

HEY I DISAGREE!

I pretty much am the epic end of all spam... and DO I get yelled at?!

No

unless you guys have given up on me...

Have you?

Have you?

T_T

You have, haven't you.

DAMN!

Stop spamming. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users