#1 rickoshay818

rickoshay818

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:KITTY!

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

I think that high scores would be a pretty cool idea, might take some work, like updating the levels and highest players and all that, but all in all, I think it would probaly be worth it. Like rubbing in moose's face when I pass him :P Just kidding. :) Anyways, what do you think drack?
...Tehe.

#2 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

It will already show your stats in your user profile. I'm not sure how high scores would work cause people don't exactly have scores per se. Some kind of player list could work though. I'll probably add this eventually.

#3 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

Moderator/Corridors of Time Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:13 AM

Hey, how about New Game Plus?
In Kingdom of Loathing, a player can 'ascend' (restart the game) with various challenges. Playing a 'hardcore' ascension is to play through with a whole bunch of limits and tougher monsters (scaled up), but the benefits to any future play are incredible. It enhances the game a lot, adds a near infinite amount of replay value, and is a very good way of keeping players at relatively the same level (someone who's played for years could fight side-by-side with someone who started that day).

sum day ill eat ur cat ricko...

#4 Moose

Moose

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:02 AM

that sounds a tad too repetitive for me. or well, my concept of your idea anyway.
Posted Image

#5 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

New Game +, man. So many games have done it, and for good reason.
It sure beats creating an infinite amount of content.

Consider:
You beat a game. There's nothing else to do. You stop playing the game.

Or:
You beat the game. You can start over from the beginning with the same stats and items, make different choices, get things you missed... an infinite amount of times.

Crystal Chronicles pushes this a bit further and scales everything up a notch. Bosses that may have had 200 hp the first time through have 2000 the second, and 200000 the third. So it's still a challenge, and everything is so much more intense on each playthrough.

#6 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

Thats easy for a single player (or small multiplayer) game. Unfortunately things get a little more complicated when you are talking about an MORPG.

#7 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:12 PM

Reset quests. Fin.

#8 Queztatlapoca

Queztatlapoca

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:BONGOS! Philosophy, Some martial arts, dnd, people watching...(it's oddly fun)<br><br>Well...my name is Matt, I'm 5'3.5&quot; brown hair and eyes. When people ask what's up I'll normally tell them the sky. I am consistently random. I was also in high school for far too long. My age is...well if you can't figure that out from my date of birth shame on you... want to know more? just ask :)

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

kol does it in a sense. you get to keep all your items and one skill. some minor changes to game play. though it isn't really a mmorpg

edit...I didn't read all of the post... sorry for the double take
Ummm...Yay?

#9 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

it really is an mmorpg. you just haven't seen pvp yet.
and yes, it does have an infinite new game + loop. and new content is always being added.

you only get to keep a skill after beating a hardcore run first.
also, choosing a zodiac sign, a difficulty and a path all change the game dramatically.

#10 KoopaTroopaZ

KoopaTroopaZ

Lead Developer

• Game Staff
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

it really is an mmorpg. you just haven't seen pvp yet.
and yes, it does have an infinite new game + loop. and new content is always being added.

you only get to keep a skill after beating a hardcore run first.
also, choosing a zodiac sign, a difficulty and a path all change the game dramatically.

that's interesting an idea with the new game +...that would take some thinking it would have to be proportionate to each char and such don't know...it's possible

#11 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

Well, consider that two players, starting a month apart, will not be working on the same quests. Quests are local to each character in this way.
So, technically, everything would already be 'proportionate to each char'.

Players would, of course, be able to create a new character and choose a new class. The benefit would be to play through the game again with some sort of bonus from the last 'life'.
Possibly also some form of 'hard mode'. In such a case the player (even fighting side-by-side with regular players) would take double damage, deal less damage, gain less experience or some such method of cranking up character-proportionate difficulty.
The rewards for playing on a more difficult mode would, of course, be incredible and worthwhile.

In KoL, the character you make after a particularly difficult 'run' that gets all the benefits. The new character would open a box and find a bunch of really awesome stuff, like an accessory that decreases MP cost and increases stat gain.

#12 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

Well see the problem arises when you have one of these new chars fighting a moster with someone who just started. NPCs have one set of stats, they are not separate for each player that attacks the NPC. So it's not possible to modify an NPC to cater to one specific player. Especially if they are fighting the monster with someone that doesn't have modded stats. If you were to modify the players stats it might work but it would throw off the balance and could make some enemies "un-fightable" and lead to more headaches later on in the game.

#13 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

With this model, stats are all reset anyways. Character + has the same stats as a regular character (except perhaps from awesome and well-earned bonus equipment).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users