Caseyweederman

Moderator/Corridors of Time Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

~Edit by Drackir.
Started due to this quote:

(:cry: i know i want to use linux but wtf... no games work on it :deathstare:)

Excuse me? Excuse me? No games work on it??? Who told you that? Fuhrer Gates? (sorry, I've been playing RTCW + I hate micros*ft) Of course games run fine. I've just been experiencing some very high quality games for which the Linux binaries were officially released by the company. That's right, both Id Software and Bioware are getting the idea (As well as countless others, I'm sure).
In fact, the reason I haven't been here for a bit is because Neverwinter Nights (all expansions) and Return to Castle Wolfenstein have been consuming my chrono-points.

So. Here we have the official game-company binary releases.
Over here, however *gestures with hands* we have companies like Loki. Unfortunately, they are no longer in "the business". They ported very popular games to Linux. I myself am in posession of Civilization: Call to Power (actually, it's still installed on my hard drive) and Railroad Tycoon II: Gold Edition. But then they closed down.

Here I go researching on the Olde Internectual Web-based Hypertext-Protocalicular Network. Search: Top of the line Linux binaries. High on the list of found sites: http://tuxgames.com. Linux Game News, a link on the side displays the following:

01 Oct 2005
Two great new games have recently been announced for Linux and are available right now for pre-order. X2: The Threat from LGP and Quake IV from id. Dont miss out!

Well, more proof for multiple epiphanies from the general direction of Id Software, except instead of selling a Windows copy and making available the Linux binaries on site, it seems they are just selling Linux copies as well. Links lead to games such as Doom 3, Unreal Tournament, Quake Arena 3, Neverwinter Nights (triple pack) and.. hm... what's this? LGP... Linux Game Publishing. I shall inspect this immediately. Sweet. It's just as it sounded. They publish games for Linux.

In summary:
Apologies if I sounded like a smartass, but that was just a tiny tiny fraction of the games available for Linux. Also, these are only the official, company-approved games. I'm sure that not two weeks after a certain game is released, a crack team of hackers will leap out of the shadows of the WWW and render the software useful to Linux boxes everywhere. And a crackerjack toy included.

Parting shot:

http://www.transgaming.com/

And of course, there is a post script.
P.S. I'm currently writing this from my Ubuntu box. I am thoroughly impressed with everything. My dad got a bunch of 5.10 instal and live discs in the mail, though we've been running Breezy Badger (release names) for a while. If I knew where you lived, I'd give you one in a second. I'll have to settle for second best:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
Tell me if you need any help. I posess a rudimentary knowledge and am willing to be of service for such a cause.

sum day ill eat ur cat ricko...

#2 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:15 AM

AH but games that use DirectX (there are a very great many) cannot be used on linux without WineX and even that is limited (and expensive) from what I hear. There has however been a great increase in the amount of games and the compatibility of programs for linux. Things are looking up. May we all run linux soon!

#3 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, Return to Castle Wolfenstein runs on DirectX so I feared for my life as a gamer. But the readily available Linux binaries must use SDL.
Woot. Things are looking up indeed.

#4 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, Return to Castle Wolfenstein runs on DirectX so I feared for my life as a gamer. But the readily available Linux binaries must use SDL.
Woot. Things are looking up indeed.

Or open GL but that is a major switchover. Nothing to be done overnight, not to mention you need the sources for it!

#5 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:58 AM

***GEEK FIGHT**** :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long: :on2long:

#6 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:56 PM

"I got a Nalyid slaying knife thats +9 against Nalyids!!!"

#7 Faselei

Faselei

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:04 PM

lol i should check in more often... geek fight! loving it!

Was talking to the IT guy at work... he ported linux to his central heating :ermm: oh. god.

Seriously id LOVE to use linux but yeah no games! you heard what i said - CivII - wtf? i want to play Civ4 can that play on linux? Gwars on linux? Railroad Tycoon *3* not 2?

Its a sad fact but yes you need DirectX too,

Dam you Gates, damn yoooouuu tooooo heeeelllll!

*edit*

And installing from source is -not- fun. After just a few times i was praying for a handy exe file to do it for me.

Don't post here ever again.

Posted Image

#8 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

Civ II was the sh*it! Fug Yeah!

Don't worry tho there are things upcoming. I heard Sony was thinking of shipping PS3 with a linux OS.

#9 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

That would be sexy.
And no, none of the Wind*ws games I run are from source. There was just a little .run file that molded the directories and automatically installed the binaries. No compiling, no Make, no moose-drowning. Then to just copy the libraries from cd.

And Faselei, you missed all the good examples I used, like Quake 4.

Quake-freakin-four.

P.S. *slaps Nalyid*

P.P.S. Merry Christmas, everyone. That's right. I went there.

#10 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:39 PM

Crazy. How much did it all cost, in the end?

P.S. Drackir, how are you liking Ubuntu? And what version? I'm still using Breezy, Dapper is just too experimental right now. A couple of times my dad was stuck with an update which rendered xwindows and network support null. I think he apt-geted the previous package and burnt it to CD. Fun fun.

#11 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

I'm using Hoary from the disc you gave me. I don't know how to upgrade the whole thing. It won't turn my fan speed down so I have to fix that.

#12 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

Ok, quick instructions for how to upgrade:
In a terminal, type nano /etc/apt/sources.list and find every occurrence of hoary and replace it with breezy for the most stable, or dapper for the latest yet not quite reliable. I reccomend breezy.

Oh yeah, and to save you some grief: # means commented. If there's a repository that you want open, uncomment. restricted means it is non-free, which means not entirely over-the-counter. Things like the official driver for your video card etc...
If you uncommented all the packages and ran a Synaptic search for fan speed, I'm sure you'd find something. For everything else, there's Google. You'd be surprised.

What video card do you have? It took me a while, but I figured it out. Tell me how you fare.

#13 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:58 PM

P.S. After that, go System>Administration>Add Aplication (if you're a wuss. Otherwise use Synaptic like everybody else, or if you're really manly, terminal an apt-get install freeciv and click Games, Other, find Freeciv. It's a civilization game. Also, get Netpanzer, Konquest and KSpaceduel, and/or any other games that look even remotely multiplayer. Consider yourself challenged to any and all.

#14 Faselei

Faselei

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:42 AM

Yeah Quake 4 - fair do's.

@storm Good. god. :o

Konquest was the sole reason i had linux on my second partition for about 6 months, it just soooooo good.

Don't post here ever again.

Posted Image

#15 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

Yep, Konquest is neat. Any chance it goes network? Cause that would be neater.

I've been playing Slune. It is very neat. It does network. Let's dance.

#16 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Yeah, I already installed freeciv but you can't play it offline can you??? And the fan thing using lm-sensors doesn't work for me cause there apparently are no (recognizable) sensors in my puter.

#17 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

Oh, there was a thread about that. May be in the link. Somebody whining about the same thing, maybe somebody fixed it? Just google: lm-sensors "exact.text.of.error.here"
I mean, it's probably not a missing sensor in the hardware, just a loose link in the software.

Freeciv 2.0.2? I see 5 options. Start New Game, Start Scenario Game, Load Saved Game, Connect to Network Game, and Quit.

I mean, sure it does.

#18 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

It always asks me to connect to a server. *shrugs* I will try later.

#19 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

?
Start New Game works for me.

Hm... Tell me... Have you added the online repositories? Or are you still just using the CD?
Otherwise...
Open up Synaptic, then go Settings, Repositories, and check all the unchecked ones. But first... click Add and add every possible combination of repositories and components.

As for the CD, you might as well uncheck it. I think at one point it was drawing older packages from the cd, and ignoring the newer ones on the internet.

Anyways, the point is, maybe you just have an older version. Mine's spiffy and has a local host option.

#20 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:40 PM

I didn't know you could turn the CD off, that would have come in handy when it was screwing up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users