39 replies to this topic

#21 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

Moderator/Corridors of Time Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

Heh. It's hard to remember all the things that I take for granted... because I take them for granted.

Ok, there are a couple more games that you must see. I'll try to compile a little list here...

Freeciv.
Kobo (single player as far as I know, but such a classic).
Battle for Wesnoth.
Liquidwar.
Netpanzer.
Slune.
Teg.

I'm sure there are more to come as I remember them.

A side note, regarding xwindows and such.
By default, I think you are running Gnome. Now, there's another graphical system called KDE. If you are running full KDE it's kinda pretty with soft edges and so nnggnnuser friendly you could puke (I can't stand it... even though Linus Torvalds prefers it to Gnome), but if you are running Gnome with KDE stuff on top, it gets a little hairy. I remember back in the Debian days, at one point I got frusterated and Gnome-Apt (Debian's Synaptic... more word play) removed all the KDE stuff. All of it.
It was kind of funny. I'd daily be installing games and such, some KDE but most not, and every time one required a package of the other type (Gnome/KDE) it would configure my settings to use that one as an environment. It made booting quite interesting. Which will it be today?
I'm sure there was a simpler solution, but frying KDE was fun.

So the point is, check the dependancies. If it claims it needs to install KDE libraries, you may wish to rethink it. Any package that obnoxiously starts with a K like Kolf or Kolor Lines is most likely pure KDE. But maybe you'd like KDE. I dunno.

Mainly, let's play games.
Oh yeah. One more thing. If you want BZflag, don't get it using Synaptic. The maintainer hasn't updated it in a while ( a difference of 2.0.0 to 2.0.4. Big difference. Not compatible). Just go through the usual way, bzflag.org. It's nifty, the Linux version just unzips and there it is. I wonder if there's a Linux map editor.... I shall look into this.

sum day ill eat ur cat ricko...

#22 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

Of course, there was one I forgot. Abuse. Single player (may go multi, not sure) but very very intense and fun.

I just discovered a game that I've had for a while, but it wouldn't run with my pathetic old video driver. Get this game NOW or at least as soon as you can. The game goes by the name of....
Egoboo.
That's right.
Egoboo.

#23 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

By the way, check out Blender. It is 3d modelling software. It is high-l33t. It is also officially maintained by Ubuntu, most likely guaranteeing the latest versions. At the moment I am tutorializing. Woot.

#24 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:15 AM

Firstly, There is an edit button. Use it!
Secondly, I am not a complete linux newb, I used to have Red Hat for a while way back in the day. But those games I will check out.
Lastly, I am the king of blender (but not really(. I was hanging around the blender community since it was 2.16. Since before the current forums were there. Since before game blender was cut out of it (I don't know if it is back now.) I joined their forums on Oct. 14 2002! That was more than 3 years ago. It has been a very long time though. I'll have to check it out again since I see that they released 2.40.

#25 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

Yeah, yeah, I know about edit. But I had different things to say, so I figured it would be ok. Won't happen again.

And yeah, linux is linux, but redhat isn't ubuntu or debian. Switching from debian to ubuntu was easy for me, but the short period of time I tried to use redhat was a very harsh unforgiving time. Redcarpet is crazy crazy. I could not relate it to Gnome-apt at all.

Re blender, sweet. I have 2.37a and game mode is in. Seems Ubuntu maintainers suck. I'm losing faith, as bzflag is also outdated. Bah. It wasn't officially maintained though.
Feh. All is good. I learned a lot for a good.... bunch of hours today. I'm ready to SLEEP. I'll be back in a few short hours.

#26 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

Moderation Note: I split up the two topics because it was getting off topic from the main thread. :)

#27 Nalyid

Nalyid

Padawan Mapper

• Game Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:01 AM

you guys talk to much -_-

#28 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

Nice.

Well, Blender is incredible. I spent the past two days playing with it. One of my inventions is the eyeball pictured left. Woot. I figured out layers and stuff.

So light does not actually pass through the cornea, to my perplexion, it all bounces off regardless of the fact that, I dunno, it's completely transparent??? The iris is, in fact, in a separate layer with its own lighting. The pupil is a circle of "shadeless" black. Overall it is very juicy.

So have you all played Egoboo yet? It's pretty neat, eh? Yep.

I think we should get a game of Teg running or something. Oh hey, Abuse goes network! Sweet. So? Anyone up for a game?

#29 Faselei

Faselei

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

:lol: me=ownd

No, but ... really?

I so want to agree you but i'm still not 100% convinced >_<

Don't post here ever again.

Posted Image

#30 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

*blink blink* Context?
Linux and gaming? Yeah, Linux is great. It can be frustrating at times, for example my nvidia card (it turned out to be a really simple solution as is almost always the case), but on the whole it is entirely edifying, a fun learning experience, and it gives great bragging rights. Plus most distros are free. Incredible.

It also helps to have a healthy loathing for Micros*ft.

#31 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

*Still hasn't busted blender out yet* Last time I used it I completely forgot everything but I'm sure after a few tutorials I will be back on track. My 3DS Max stuff was better though. I can show you some of it if you want.

~Drack

P.S. I'll brag your rights in a minute!

#32 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:04 PM

Blender...!!
I intend, as of right now, to learn armature and animation before the night is through. I just had a nice nap, so I should be good for a while.

So I encourage you to "crack out the blender" madcore all up in here.

#33 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

Lol! I am bussy finishing hw and not doing hw and working on the game right now so you know. Bussy bussy!!! :P

#34 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:11 AM

Sounds like you need to prioritize!
You see, the more fun something is, the more important it is to do it first.
Guaranteed, life will get much much more interesting this way.
Heh.

#35 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

Haha well right now school is more important. Then the game. (Steph above all, but she's not here right now so...) I know my priorities...I think.

#36 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:23 PM

Heh. Yep. Sounds about right.
I'm still blending though.

#37 DarkAngel

DarkAngel

Nub

• Beta Testers
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:36 AM

AH but games that use DirectX (there are a very great many) cannot be used on linux without WineX and even that is limited (and expensive) from what I hear. There has however been a great increase in the amount of games and the compatibility of programs for linux. Things are looking up. May we all run linux soon!

Old topic I know, but I would like to revise what Drackir had said.

Directx is fully supported in WINE. I run a dual boot of Fedora Core 4 and Windows. I've successfully got Visual Basics running in wine along with many many other DirectX games. Wine is completely free and runs just as well as windows does. (Heck I even got I-tunes to run in Wine :D ) I have yet to find a Direct X app that wont run in Linux.

Just thought I would clear that up.

-DA

#38 Drackir

Drackir

Admin/Project Leader

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Whee. I like that discovery. I will have to try that some time when I have some spare time.

#39 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

Hey, D.A., any chance you could walk us through that? I had problems last time I tried.
Is it just a case of installing directx within wine? Because that didn't work. And what version Itunes are you able to use?

Thanks.

#40 DarkAngel

DarkAngel

Nub

• Beta Testers
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

Here is a link for running vb and all that good stuff in WINE. Wine has built in API functions so you really dont need to change much.

http://www.thefmp.co...topic.php?t=284

-DA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users