88 replies to this topic

#21 CoreTechs

CoreTechs

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

Megell, I admit that I am only an amateur at using the Gimp, but I think that as an amateur, what I have designed is only a tiny dent at what the Gimp is capable of. You should take sometime to appreciate something before ripping it apart.

#22 Rytiko

Rytiko

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

Ack! Maybe I shouldn't have started this topic... x_x

But my opinion still stands in favor of photoshop, because as said in my post on the previous page, I haven't seen work up to par with what I've seen in photoshop.

And I'm aware of what freeware is - But it would probably take an extraordinary amount of time and editing of source code to make it up to par with photoshop. Once I see something from the Gimp that is a greater display of the image I posted on the last post on the first page, I may reconsider my position. Until then...

Photoshop ftw.

#23 CoreTechs

CoreTechs

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

It's not "freeware"... It's "open source".
Btw... Found this as a quick example: Click here.
And it's not the best that has come out of Gimp.

#24 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

Moderator/Corridors of Time Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

Thank you, CoreTechs.
Calling it freeware is an insult. Freeware is the first three levels of Commander Keen. Freeware is a toy. Freeware is a fragment of a commercial product that nobody cares about anymore.
Let me say this: The Gimp is capable of so much more, even without ever looking at the source code, than any form of Photoshop will ever be.

And sorry, CoreTechs. I didn't mean to demean your work, it's just that to take your work as an example of the full potential of the Gimp would be wrong.

sum day ill eat ur cat ricko...

#25 CoreTechs

CoreTechs

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

Oh, I know my work isn't all that great. I'm a novice when it comes to these things. I was just pointing out that even as a novice I can do that.. But still it's pretty basic.

#26 Megell

Megell

Fondusian To The Max

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Interests:EVERYTHING.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:22 PM

@ Casey: I've seen other sites/images manufactored by the gimp. Also I've seen it in work and didn't like it at either time. PLUS add in the fact I'm a nazi for polished programs...

Me and the gimp are like oil, water and a lighter... and a couple whales, trapped in a tanker accid-...

As I was saying, I don't like it for other reasons. The Gimp just is limp in my opinion. I've seen other stuff done in it, and it was good, just not - WOW. Plus it doesn't have a proper soft stylist plugin. That bugged me to no end. ALSO I can download pirated versions of photoshop for free... and photoshop has all the qualities of the gimp and more. MUCH MORE. so why would I waste my time with a program, no matter how good, is just a knock off a real polished piece of work.

Also, if the gimps creater does think up something really original and smart. PS will have the same thing but better in the next update. Remember how everyone ripped off PS layer format ruthlessly? Same thing.

Anyways, that was a semi rant at "why I don't download open source." But you can see the picture. Download something that may be good, or download something that is god like. Hard choice? No.

If the gimp ever becomes better then PS, expect me to be the first in line to get a copy... But till then, me and PS are bed buds.

@ Core: Your work is rather crappy, I won't pet your ego much... however for a first shot, its rather good. Just keep up with what your doing and you'll become a great site person.

Plus, I'll admit you pwn me regardless at HTML, can't get that stuff to work. Good job!

#27 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

Closed-source is a lesson in stagnant thinking. Look at Microsoft to see a good example of how it all ends up. Moneygrubbing fat balding men who have nothing better to do than to squeeze more money out of you.
You call those software updates? They're just repackaging the same thing with brighter colours.
What you refer to as "polished" is "decayed rubbish with a new layer of wax". It's trendier. More marketed. In the end you have nothing.

And again, The Gimp is no knockoff. Layers? Photoshop owns layers?

The Gimp doesn't care about being better than Photoshop because they aren't competing. The Gimp is going to be the best it can be and that's great, it's still better than any commercial product.

Also. Once again, more clearly this time, I'll state that any difficulties you have with the Gimp are not the Gimp's problems but your own. Stop projecting.

#28 Megell

Megell

Fondusian To The Max

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

I'm not, its common knowledge that the PS beats the gimp hands down. Why would I use an inferior product when I can use a better one? Its just that simple. Also I don't have a problem with the gimp, I've used it before and I can make it dance, it just not as good, End of the story.

Also, to be honest, I wouldn't care if hitler made PS. If its a better program then I'll use it no matter what. If the gimp beat PS, I would switch in a heart beat. Hell, if paint beat PS i would be there.

#29 Caseyweederman

Caseyweederman

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

You are being infuriating. You disregard my points, claim that some invisible majority agrees with you, and insult my opinions. You, sir, are a jackass.

#30 Rytiko

Rytiko

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

I'm not, its common knowledge that the PS beats the gimp hands down. Why would I use an inferior product when I can use a better one? Its just that simple. Also I don't have a problem with the gimp, I've used it before and I can make it dance, it just not as good, End of the story.

Also, to be honest, I wouldn't care if hitler made PS. If its a better program then I'll use it no matter what. If the gimp beat PS, I would switch in a heart beat. Hell, if paint beat PS i would be there.

Quoted for emphasis.

Now sure, you can go crazy on Open Source software and make it awesome, but if you'll only be able to make it match the capabilities of a product that's already on the market, why even bother? Besides, I'm not sure that, even with it being open source, it has the capability to stand up to some of the great PS things I've seen.

Now, for a free program, it's amazing. Stunning, actually. But when it's so easy to get pirated versions of PS (Maybe 4-8 hours using a torrent client), there's little point other than those pesky "Morals" or whatever.

PS is better for graphic design. Photo restoration and such, the Gimp is fine. But, even though it has some capability, it doesn't have as much capability as PS when it comes to graphic design. Now, perhaps my example was from someone who was extraordinarily skilled, but I've seen better work. Even the image offered by Core failed in comparison to Geo's...

I could go and find 10-20 other great works like Geo's in the next hour made in PS. I'm still waiting on a single example from the Gimp.

#31 Megell

Megell

Fondusian To The Max

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

Alright, I'll ignore the fact that your getting more personal with this then I would like. And just put it this way. Your basically saying to me that I have to use the gimp. The bottom line is no I don't.

Also, I've used many programs, coretext even insited on making me try the gimp for a few days. I used to spend alot of time with macromedia and ps, so he tried to convert me but I didn't like what I saw.

The thing that gets me is, your forgetting (Uses his yelling voice.) THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE DO USE PHOTOSHOP! And not because it is some big companies show case program, but because it is MUCH BETTER. It has more support, more people writting filteres and changing around the engines of existing filters. More web space devoted to its updates, to its additions, and hell even to its destruction.

Yes, adobe is a companies whipping dog, I'll admit it. They use it to make monies, when the day comes to a end. BUT WHEN THE FUCK HAS THAT EVER BEEN A CRIME? is illigal to want to eat, no its not. Is it a crime to be rich; NO.

Yes, they might be repackaging the same stuff in a different case (and a very nice case at that.) but each time they add everything that they can to the mix. Hell money is a very motivating factor is alot of peoples lives.

ALSO open source is alright, it does have the niceness of being openly editable and changable at the base level. But not everyone out there cares for that, infact very few people do ultimately when it comes to the end of the day; Its nice to be able to rearrange the OS so its more you, but you can just rearrange the interface of PS so you couldn't tell the difference. I would rather be able to get all the bonus that come with a public program then a privately made one. Call me a nazi, but you know I'm right.

Casey, I am a jackass. Never claimed to be anything but one scince the day we met. But you are parinoid of large scale projects in the same way I trust them. Get used to it.

#32 Rytiko

Rytiko

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

>_< ....

*regrets making this topic*

#33 CoreTechs

CoreTechs

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

Yes, adobe is a companies whipping dog, I'll admit it. They use it to make monies, when the day comes to a end. BUT WHEN THE FUCK HAS THAT EVER BEEN A CRIME? is illigal to want to eat, no its not. Is it a crime to be rich; NO.

Yes, they might be repackaging the same stuff in a different case (and a very nice case at that.) but each time they add everything that they can to the mix. Hell money is a very motivating factor is alot of peoples lives.

Just as a little side note:
You aren't paying for it anyway... Why are you worried about whether or not the programmers who made PhotoShop get food on the table?

#34 Megell

Megell

Fondusian To The Max

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:27 PM

You aren't paying for it anyway... Why are you worried about whether or not the programmers who made PhotoShop get food on the table?

I am because food on the table is a motivating factor in: "Do I bother with this mindless bug that no one other then me, and the speed the program works, will notice? Even though it will take 50 hours of work to fix."

I like that security that peoples lively hood is riding on that. understandiable no?

#35 Rytiko

Rytiko

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

I am because food on the table is a motivating factor in: "Do I bother with this mindless bug that no one other then me, and the speed the program works, will notice? Even though it will take 50 hours of work to fix."

I like that security that peoples lively hood is riding on that. understandiable no?

Exactly. If people need money, they'll work harder. Well, generally speaking anyway.

#36 Megell

Megell

Fondusian To The Max

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:40 PM

Anyways, I think we should all call this quits. Its just comming to the point where we are going to end up scawbaling over more pointless stuff. PS and gimp both have there fans, and I think that its a pain to fight over them. You guys agree?

#37 Rytiko

Rytiko

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

Anyways, I think we should all call this quits. Its just comming to the point where we are going to end up scawbaling over more pointless stuff. PS and gimp both have there fans, and I think that its a pain to fight over them. You guys agree?

Agreed. Pointless squabbles amidst such a small community can never be good. It's quite obvious that neither of us are going to sway from our position, so it'll eventually become a series of personal attacks. It's not worth it to me.

#38 CoreTechs

CoreTechs

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

But you are going to be getting PhotoShop for free anyway... If you were really worried about whether or not the creators received compensation for their work, you would actually go out and buy an authentic, legal copy of PS.

Don't argue that they wont get paid if you don't use photoshop you are not helping them in any way.

Many people use Gimp because it's something to work on. It's a project the whole world could join in on. I'm sure that a lot of PhotoShop gurus have converted to the Gimp and like it. Gimp has many similarities to PS already. PhotoShop users will be able to pick up the Gimp faster.

But seriously, if this debate has gotten into fight to see who can shout the loudest or talk the longest, it's pointless.

If no one here has any real facts and not just "It's common knowledge", then the entire argument is pointless.

---------------------------

I like the Gimp because it is free, it is legal, and it is something I can learn and possibly build upon.

You can pretty much use the Gimp for all your home use needs. Most people just get PS to make little siggys for their forums. Gimp can do just that (and more). Although... Photoshop is more for a professional environment, say, making a major newspaper or magazine. It's heavy duty like that. But in reality you have to think of what you are going to do with it. Why take four to seven hours downloading something you are only going to use the small fraction of it's capabilities when you can download a program that does what you want in less than 100Mb?

But I admit, I did get most of that info from this site.

Also, note the updates after the main article. There have been many improvements and more to come on the GIMP.

#39 Megell

Megell

Fondusian To The Max

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

Like you said, it is an opinion thing... but its alot of people opinion that people who get monies work harder. Also, I don't think anyone here give a hoot if the programmers get money. Were just saying we like the fact that they have a larger cheeze to chase. I think thats the difference in everything.

Keep in mind, I never said were getting PS so some programmer doesn't stave. Were getting it cause we like it better... and thats all it comes down to in the end I suppose.

Lets just drop this there. No more comments on this by anyone. If you have an issue take it too screaming over PMs. Thats the best choice now. :D

ALSO back to the topic at hand, does anyone know a good program that is useful for sprite editing. I was using character mucker 1999, but its getting obsolete. Any suggestions. (and I want a simple program ALSO!)

#40 CoreTechs

CoreTechs

Fondusian

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

ALSO back to the topic at hand, does anyone know a good program that is useful for sprite editing. I was using character mucker 1999, but its getting obsolete. Any suggestions. (and I want a simple program ALSO!)

The GIMP sounds good. I'm pretty sure Casey used it for something like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users